Historical Points of Interest on Killington Section of the Long Trail
From Route 140, south to north:
The several stone walls the LT crosses or follows north of Wallingford Gulf and the one pen or barn foundation about 50’; north of the trail.
Abandoned Bear Mountain Road, probably older than the road through Wallingford Gulf.
Patch Hollow (see PDF History of Wallingford).
The barely noticeable stone wall that the trail (on the Patch Hollow Road) crosses north of Patch Hollow.
Minerva Hinchey Shelter, began as a closed camp with a stove and big front doors.
Spring Lake Clearing.
Clarendon Gorge, the LT has used at least three different bridges there.
Green Mt. Railway, from Bellows Falls to Rutland in the late 1840s.
Crown Point Road.
Stone walls the trail crosses south of Gaynor Road.
Gaynor Road, an old town highway.
Clarendon Shelter, began as Clarendon Lodge and had a stove.
Stone walls the trail crosses on both sides of Beacon Hill.
Cellarhole about 10’ south of the trail between Beacon Hill and Lottery Road. Stone wall the trail crosses north of Lottery Road, showing the north end of former pasture.
Stone wall the trail follows south of Keiffer Road.
Former house site in field north of Keiffer Road.
Rectangular stone pen south of the trail near where it enters the woods north of Keiffer Road.
Stone wall the trail crosses north of Keiffer Road.
Stone wall the trail crosses north of Cold River Road.
Old highway bordered by stone walls, which the LT crosses south of the Gould Brook crossing. Its northern end is on the Upper Cold River Road opposite the Gilman Road to Gov. Clement Shelter. It crossed Gould Brook, ran past the present Maynard place, crossed the Cold River Road and the Cold River, and ended at the Keiffer Road.
Stone remains of a mill on the east side of Gould Brook north of the LT crossing. This was on the LT until the post-Irene relocation.
North of the Upper Cold River Road along Sargent Brook, debris including bridge planks washed down by Tropical Storm Irene.
Clement Shelter Road bridge, replacing the one Irene washed out.
North of Clement Shelter Road, stone walls and cellarhole of the Herb Haley farm.
North of the Haley farm, old highway that descended to Sargent Brook and joined the Clement Shelter Road.
Two sawmill sites on Sargent Brook south of Gov. Clement Shelter, shown in 1869 Beers Atlas.
North of Gov. Clement Shelter, old highway leading to the remains of the northernmost farm in Shrewsbury on the LT. This is “D. Plumley” on the 1869 atlas.
Where the LT leaves the Clement Shelter Road, the east end of a stone wall belonging to that farm.
Near Cooper Lodge, the two prior camps and the old hotel.
About 0.1 mile north of Cooper Lodge, the old “carriage road” from Brewers Corners, shown on the 1891 U.S.G.S. Rutland quadrangle.
The history of the “jungle” at Jungle Jct.
North of Churchill Scott Shelter, the point where the LT crosses the old Pico Ski Trail. It’s hard to see nowadays. I think it ended near the state garage on US 4. USGS quadrangle shows it.
On the Bucklin Trail, the Goodrich & White steam sawmill shown in the 1869 atlas on Brewers Brook about half a mile east of Brewers Corners, bypassed by the Bucklin Trail relocation after Irene.